Engagement sessions are a wonderful way for us to connect, and a great way to give friends and family a glimpse into your relationship as a couple. We’ll begin to plan out your session together, the location (anywhere in the greater Chicago land area and I know a number of fabulous locations as well), clothing, and ideas. Try not to stress! It’s more of a time for us to get to know each other and create wonderful images of the two of you.
1. A typical engagement session with LTI will last about 90 min, we’ll walk around, chat, take some photos and repeat.
2. Try to leave important personal belongings like extra bags and purse at home or in the car. Sometimes it takes away from the flow of the session trying to set belongings down to take a photo, all the while keeping a watchful eye on your belongings to be sure no one walks off with them.
3. Keep the session just about the two of you, any additional people will most likely be a distraction, unless you plan to include any children or pets into the photos. If that’s the case bring with a pet (or child) wrangler such as a grandparent or sibling to take them home after a few moments of family time. The rest of the session should be about you and your partner.
4. Have fun with clothing! I’m open to an outfit change, say one casual and one more dressy.
5. An engagement session is also a great opportunity to try out your wedding day look. Have a makeup or hair trial if you’d like. If that’s not a possibility, try to wear heavier makeup than usual and please, please, please stay away from anything with glitter or shimmer. It’ll show up in the photo but definitely not looking sparkly like you hoped, it looks more like perspiration on camera.
6. When planning your session we’ll aim for a couple hours after sunrise or a couple hours before sunset for the most flattering, beautiful lighting possible. Photographing at high noon creates harsh light and unflattering shadows so I ask my couples to be somewhat flexible with timing.